September 18, 2023

INTERVIEW: Banking Executive, Power Woman, Dr Abosede Ogundimu Talks About Professionalism, Excellence And Living The Perfect Good Life

Dr. Mrs Abosede Ogundimu is a standout woman wearing different hats (of responsibilities) on her head at the same time - albeit, so beautifully. A banking executive, Pastor and dutiful wife of a prominent Lagos politician. She dazzles with finnese in her discharge of these duties excellently. The go-getter Vice Chairman of the Chattered Institute of Bankers of Nigeria (CIBN) Lagos Branch - who has been in banking for almost 3 decades, is currently a top-level executive at Providus Bank. She let us into her amazing, colourful and inspiring life in this business and lifestyle interview...
How has your experience in office been as a Vice Chairman of CIBN (Lagos)?
I can say that it has been very challenging, because combining my normal routine, my job with my role as the 2nd Vice Chaitman of CIBN Lagos, it is obviously not easy, but I can always give my best in ensuring that I keep the standards in all these aspects.
In what key ways has the CIBN been contributing to the financial sector bettering the lots of bankers?
The Institute is there to uphold the standards, add value and impact knowledge to operators/practitioners in the financial sector. The Institute is into consultancy, we partner with different organizations in the area of impacting requisite knowledge and ideas to excel in the industry. The financial sector is not just limited to deposit/commercial banks, we have other financial institutions too. So, CIBN partners with them to train their staff on ethics, professionalism and other key areas relating to the economy that are necessary for adding value. Apart from the consultancy services we render to organizations, we also collaborate with educational institutions in training undergraduates who are studying to practice in the financial sector. We have some of the students already sitting for professional exams before graduation and they do well. The Institute has experts who are vast in subjects/courses who prep the students for the diets (professional exams). So, by and large, what we do is adding value to the financial industry in different ways. Many bankers have benefited from obtaining internationally recognized certifications and Continuous Professional Developments that have kept them atop in their profession, in line with the Institute's vision and mission. There is also access to a wide base of professional networking opportunities - like our annual Bankers Nite event, among others.
We will like to have a peep into your journey so far in the industry.
I have been in the banking industry for almost three decades (about 29 years) now. I started off by having my national youth service at the defunct Commerce Bank then on Lagos Island and I was retained. And I have been in banking since then. I got married in banking and I have been married for 28 years. To the glory of God, I am a DGM (Deputy General Manager) today and I am still still forging ahead. I have worked in various indegenous banks including Spring Bank PlC/Enterprise Bank Limited which transformed into Heritage Bank PlC, as Group Head; Public Sector Marketing (Lagos and South West). In all of these, I spent over 12 years in Senior Management roles. Presently, I hold the position of Divisional Head, Institutional Banking at Providus Bank. All of these experiences have immensely enhanced my wealth of knowledge in the industry.
Aside your CIBN role, you are a corporate executive, and you also hold a key position in the society. How would you describe your social life?
Naturally, I am not the social type. I don't party, I don't club, but I attend important occasions. I always ensure to balance my time when it comes to the homefront and my job. I have multiple roles to juggle. For instance, I am an area pastor at my church, Decross Gospel Mission. I oversee 6 parrihes but I sit at one as Area Pastor. So, in all of these, all I try to do is to strike the balance. I don't attend every occasion am invited to, but most times I find ways of showing my support. I love weddings and probably when my friends have landmark celebrations. I am a very strict and private person. You can't just see me, unless we have an appointment. In fact, that's extended to even my siblings. And the main reason for this is because I aways cut out time for myself to rest. Rest is key for me. I do more of sleep and water therapy and by the grace of God, I hardly visit hospitals. Personal well-being is very important to me and I don't joke with it. I am over 50 and it's only natural for me to take things easy. I always put God first in all my affairs. I 'll also describe myself as a focused, organized, and resilient personality.
Tell us about the successes Providus Bank has recorded regarding its mission and mission..
Providus Bank has built an enduring and sustainable customer focused financial institution that provides our customers with unique ease of future forward banking experiences that have made it the preferred financial partner of a lot of Nigerians. Our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) programs and innovative services have also been remarkable.
Your family recently hosted the colourful wedding of your first child. What was the special feeling like for you as a proud mum?
It was such a feeling of immense joy. So special because that would be the first time we will be doing so as parents. It is a day I have always prayed to God and looked forward to and I thank God for making my dream a reality. I am proud of myself as a mother. The experience was so beautiful. The event coordinator who handled the gave us the 'dream wedding' we wanted. I told her I wanted the very best, and she ensured that in all important areas.
Banking and fashion go hand in hand. Anyone that comes across you will easily notice your fine taste for exquisite fashion and style. Can you tell us about your fashion routine?
I believe in the general saying that you dress the way you want to be addressed. Meanwhile. I don't believe that dressing good is about wearing expensive things. Even when you put on things that are not expensive, there is always a way you go by it that you'll come out good. There is a popular Yoruba’s saying that says 'Helen o dun bi ka mo we, ka mo we o dabi ko he ni' - meaning rocking a beautiful headtie is actually not the main thing, but tieing it well. But the prime thing however, is for the beautiful headtie to sit pretty on the person wearing it for people to admire. I love good things and I like neatness. When you dress up, at least, match what you wear well. There is a three year old in church I call mentee. Every Sunday, after service, she comes to me so I can assess her dressing and tell her yes, your mum gave you a shoe that matches your dress so well. I have become her fashion mentor and she sees herself as a child who is on point when it comes to fashion. That's just on a lighter mood though. I don't like loud fashion, I am not the social media type, but I love quality things. Our tastes differ. For some it's jewelry and accessories, for some, it's bags and shoes and so on like that. For me, I do more of Valentino bags, and I love good jewelry and accessories to compliment my dressing. As a banker, I like you to check me out and see the worth of things I put on and say oh yeah, this is it! I like designers. I love Tory Burch shoes also. I love luxury but hate to be loud about it.
You have been in banking for almost as long as you have been in marriage. Would you like to share with us some of the secrets that have kept your marriage working for almost 3 decades?
I know it's God. No other way, I think it's been God and its not about knowing how to do it. My husband and I have made God our focus. We have solely depended on Him for our survival. Although we have had our challenges, but because we are the praying type, we have have always been able to put them behind us. Another key thing is that we both decided from the onset that we are going to make this work and to the glory of God,